Vegetable Onigiri (Basil Onigiri)


they say...
small things is not always small forever
if you knot to countless
it sure be bigger than you expect
is that all that makes you happy?
why don't open your eyes
just one can taught you how big of you
a season of.. little thing have big love...

Still in a feeling of welcoming spring season, I made vegetable onigiri. I am myself love the idea of Onigiri, which is common food in Japan and famous around the world to have its various shape.

My first introduction with Onigiri comes by read Manga, and continuing love the indulgence so far for the philosophy understanding. That time, I don't know or read specifically about it, just know how simple it is. My thought in good way is how Japanese people really grateful for everything they have or getting for, in kind thankful for effort and living those effort in their ordinary life. It's something I see from these little small ball (or triangle in Japan) that they really bring Japanese culture in it, to sending a delicate feeling from whom made it and for whom it given. Also, a symbolize about small things can have big love in it. Covered only with nori sheet, and sometimes fills with umeboshi, sea salt fish, or seasonal product that makes it as certain kind of onigiri. I believe some regions also has their specialties too.


Back to what I made, I use Javanese basil or rather I call, kemangi. It is same actually, only different in size, thinner (they easily looks burnt) and good aroma. If you goes to Indonesia, it's popular or commonly item for salad and side vegetable for Penyet menu. Penyet means any dishes that fried (traditional fried chicken, duck, tempeh, egg, etc then plated with sambal). Also, we love to rub it when washing our hands to clean the fishy and oily dirt. Strong aroma in each leaves, not mention the sensation on mouth when we match it with savory dish like sambal. See pictures for their looks.








how to made


Made the rice first. As usual, we can use plain rice or seasoned rice. Adding chicken or vegetable stock are good idea . In mine, I used chicken stock. Also, add little amount of vinegar may given fresh sour sense. Just give as your preferences always. Another optional, to give more complex flavor, adding lemongrass, salam or pandan leaves are great options too.
With a bunch of fresh kemangi, clean in the running water, dry, then chopped them. For the fried onigiri, I also add chopped parsley to enhance the diversity.
Learn from books, it's good to make a shape while the rice is still hot. Washing our hands, let them wet then sprinkle some salt, next, starting to round the rice. This way, will evaporate the hot temperature from the rice because of the  water, and in same time will melt the salt, absorbed, and create a thin layer that protect the rice from multiplying germs (remember how Korean food using salt to preserve the food?).

For the filling, it depend on preferences. Beside of chopped kemangi/basil are sesame seed, chopped parsley and garlic (optional, do a quick sauteed garlic then chopped, it delivers more flavor). 

Fried skin

The way I made fried skin actually same methode as everyone know. Just pass the flour, coating into egg and continue to breaded in panko flour. My reason to pass the flour part because I don't want to makes the rice more solid or harder. Deep fry in right temperature is a prove the rice ball is solid anyway.

Looks simple? Yes, including the savory taste from the seasoned rice and the salty fried skin giving a crunchy moment.


For rice lover like me, it's always fun and fave to bring this dish in travelling or outing. I'm sandwich lover too, so it's hard to refusing if I should choice which one is the best. But since we can measure how small, big or simple ingredients in it (and I don't feel comfortable to feel so full when i go outside) maybe Onigiri makes the option more better. 



In my imagination of eating this, just feeling standing on the fresh grass, on naked feet, wind blowing in warm air . Why don't leaned on the tree, feel the wood skin against your back and sit freely? Suddenly, you can sense the spring already beside you.



















0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

instagram me

THX4Visiting & Please :)

THX4Visiting & Please :)

Followers