Pajeon, the Korean pancake






In my Instagram account, I wrote that I  never get bored to eat these dish. True, for every times I made, I never get troubled then feel ease, a relieved. It's such a great feeling although for simple cook. Guessing on how I quite a liker of fried-food (really, my Indonesian factor, this is a habit, a generous -fatty- food to found anywhere) and a fans of vegetables, so like eating vegetables tempura, this is also a double..err no, plus I'm always in love to onion families, it means a triple happiness!

My first thought of jeon, and since it translated as pancake, I'm confused to think it's sweet, reminded of my likable first time to eat was the American version with some honey or chocolate syrup on top. Then I have known about tempura, to introduces from popularly prawn to veggies style. Sounds fun, yes. And along with the Korean-pop wave came globally, getting introduced into Kimchi, Samgyetang including Jeon are getting attention showed at dramas, Korean literatures or food shows on sites or television. I remember how I used to watch Arirang tv just to look after about Korean food and culture, also varieties food program such Kimchi Chronicles, TLC network etc. 

Like I said before, my Indonesian factor, a possessed habit of Indonesian people here to enjoy fried-food in every situations, day or night (especially on rainy season) that you'll easy to find the street stall sold fried tempeh, tahu (tofu), cassava, molen (banana) and others. Who doesn't love to enjoy the tasty, crusty crunchy layer, where the plain banana becomes yummier for its crunchy sweet skin to a tasty tempeh and including the King, Martabak (murtabak). Love it, but so afraid to handle too much of the fat effect, to worry how wrong the recycle oil were used into fast gaining of obesity and heart risk. Gladly, there's a better notice of how to cook the healthy version these days. And jeon, from what I got learned, are using of any yummy ingredients such seafood and vegetables, it also using small amount of oil made it a great dish I can't complained enough. So, I learn to made it homemade. Using a combination of three kinds of flour, not the pancake mix flour that sold in store but apparently it goes into same result of texture. Getting the crisp by rice flour and smoothed by the other two, a right composition is the right key. My fave are pajeon, the green onion used. Easy to handle and always give me a good vibe of healthy version of pancake. For me, it's a happy jeon. Here's the ingredients needed :

dough
8 - 9 tbs rice flour
1      tbs sagoo flour
1      tbs corn flour
1      egg (use the big size)
1      tsp fish sauce
1/2  tsp garlic powder
1/2  tsp red pepper / paprika powder
a pinch of salt and pepper
a cup of ice water 

an fave amount of green onions
1/4 - 1/2 onion, chopped
1 stall of celery, chopped
1 red chili, sliced
1/2 - 1 sausage (optional)
2 tbs oil

how to
1. In the bowl, mixed all flour and ingredients together. Add the ice water, due of creamy level is preferable (don't too watery). Add egg in the last and mixed well. 
2. Heat the pan, give a spoons of oil, when it's ready flat the green onion first, then add the dough surely covered all the green onions. 
3. Pan in middle fire for 4-6 minutes each side until golden brown. Move. Cut into finger size. Serve with dipping sauce and sprinkle with gochugaru / red pepper powder

note: you can use 2 eggs if you think 1 is dry in result, for me, it's good enough. 2 eggs given an omelette texture but moister. I use fish sauce to enrich the flavor, since I do not add seafood but sausage. Add the green onion as much as you want, since because it's pajeon :)


the moonlight comes
the season now pardon the smell
the good day are awaits
jeongmal sarangheyo
the bright sky looks colorful 

Empty hearts
empty hands
what flavor should be stand
to tempting my brave eyes
to dance away the shadow
the food of beautiful foreseen

the kingdom's paste
the kings prophecy living alive
the piece of cake
and the sizzle of its song
are the sound of happiness


0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

instagram me

THX4Visiting & Please :)

THX4Visiting & Please :)

Followers